Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Anxious

Today, Julia concluded the second round of basketball tryouts at her school. We will know this afternoon whether she made the team.

I'm so anxious to find out. She just completed a great soccer season. She started the season with zero knowledge of soccer, and ended as a darned respectable defender. She really enjoyed participating in school sports, so I'm really hoping that she makes the basketball team.

If she doesn't make basketball, she says that she wants to go out for cheerleading. I will let her try out, but I guarantee she will hate it if she makes it. I've known the child since before she was born, and she does not have the kind of personality to be a cheerleader at her school. She's too kind, reasonable, empathetic, and level-headed. I really hope she makes the b-ball team. I so don't want to deal with cheerleader drama.

Julia knows that if she doesn't make the team, that I'm proud of her for going for it, and it only means that she needs to work some drills between now and next season, stay in shape, and be ready to try again. But I know that she will be disappointed if she doesn't make it, and I really hope I don't have to deal with that today. I'd much rather pick up a super-excited Julia, ready to start spouting off how much her uniform and shoes are going to cost me...

No comments: