Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In the Beginning

This is my blog about my attempt to go from an overweight, unfit, typical American thirtysomething to a lean, strong, got-it-going-on hottie.

I am making this transformation by learning to run.

I suppose I once knew how to run. All kids run whenever they can get away with it. Just the other day, I was observing my step-granddaughter at play; she would pick up an object, run full-speed around in a large circle, hand the object to someone who looked like they needed said object, run around in another large circle, take aforementioned object back for herself, run around in yet another large circle, and begin the process over again. This gave her such joy, it was astounding.

At what age do we lose the love for running? I want it back.

My plan to regain this love for running begins with baby steps. I am doing the Couch to 5K (C25K) program found at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/agressive_program.htm. I am using the agressive run program because I can already easily walk more than 3 miles, and I'm ready to start adding some gentle running in immediately. I like the format that beginnertriathlete.com uses for their C25K program, but for those shopping for a plan, there is also a popular program at http://www.coolrunning.com/.

I expect to have to repeat some weeks; I may even have to revert back to a previous week at some point. The goal here is not to complete the program in the prescribed 16 weeks. The goal is to go from dreading the idea of running to looking forward to my run as a stress reliever and a chunk of "me time."

I began the program today. The first week is all walking, even in the aggressive plan. Today, I walked around my neighborhood. It took 38 minutes, I walked about two miles, and according to my heart-rate monitor (HRM), I burned 308 calories. Not a bad start.

I will do my best to post a blog entry after every workout. I am hoping that this will keep me accountable. I want all my friends to see me succeed.

No comments: